Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Crunchy deliciousness....

I love textures mixing with my tastes. I like sweet, and bitter and something neutral that sucks up flavor like a yummy sponge.  One of my favorite sides is Apple, Jicama and Fennel slaw. It's quick, easy, yummy, and gets better with a little time.  It reminds me of spring and early season BBQ's with a new IPA and bratwursts, as well as fall picnics with warm sweaters and fluffy quilts. It's definitely a household favorite~  Enjoy!

Apple, Jicama and Fennel slaw


1 green apple, cored
1 large bulb fennel, fluffy fronds removed close to the bulb
1 bulb jicama, peeled
I wait to chop everything, so the apple doesn't brown. I gather the following-add to taste. You'll want enough of the following to really coat the salad.
Olive oil (I don't use much, maybe a Tbspn or so)
Coconut vinegar (you can also use rice vinegar, or apple cider vinegar)-1/4 c-with sharp vinegar's,  use a little less and add more as you go!
large pinch of salt
large pinch of pepper
1-2 Tbspn of honey (I tend to go more if I have a sharp vinegar)
pinch of garlic powder
One large spoon full of Dijon mustard
I chop everything in to thick-ish match sticks and place in a large bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. I like to chill it for a while and stir up before I serve it. Its crunchy, sweet and sour, and yummy. Perfect for picnics!  If you wanted, you could add sweet onion or orange slices for extra variety too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment